Fat Blasting Fast
by Lee-Anne Wann
Life is busy and hectic and, really, if you’re planning a wedding, this is really the understatement of the year! With so much to do, so much to be organised and so much to make just right, our own goals and desires to look amazing on our wedding day can fall by the way-side.
Don’t fret – there are very quick and very efficient ways to exercise to strip fat, tone up and feel amazing in a lot less time than you might think. Even three weeks of exercising using these special fat blast fast workouts four times per week will make some serious changes to your body, so never ever think it is too late!
First and foremost, if you haven’t done much training recently, make sure you first get clearance from your doctor and substitute the sprints that I am about to give you for some fast power walking. If you are in a regular training pattern and have no injuries, there are no excuses – it is time to work and burn fat fast!
DAY ONE – JUMP & BALL THEM
As always, you need a good warm up to ensure that you’re not going to injure yourself. I usually start on the X-Trainer for 5-8 mins as this warms up both the upper and lower parts of the body very quickly. Then find a clear space in the gym with the following equipment: jump rope, mat and medicine ball.
• Begin with 3 minutes of skipping; make sure you lift those feet high.
• Move straight onto walking lunges while holding the ball above your head – this really gets the whole body working. Keep going for a whole minute.
• Straight after the lunges, again no rest, perform 10-15 triceps press-ups.
• That’s once through. Aim for another two sets.
• Back on the X-Trainer, perform ten sets of sprints – 20 second sprint and a 20 second rest. If this is a little too hard, try extending the rest to 45 seconds and build up as you get fitter.
• Finish with ten minutes of stretching or, if you are still standing, a 20 minute moderate walk.
DAY TWO – REST
DAY THREE – HILL HAVE NO FURY
Outdoor training is perfect for efficiency as the environment often challenges us more. You have uneven surfaces, wind etc all to combat as well. In fact, my favourite training location is outside for getting a sweat on and burning some of that good ol’ body fat.
• Try jogging up the hill and jogging down, perform ten Squats and ten Push Ups, then jog backwards up the hill and forwards down again. Repeat this warm up three times. Now you should be warm and ready for action.
• Begin with a lunge up the hill. As for all exercises, make sure you are sucking in your belly button to protect your lower back. When you get to the top, jog backwards down the hill and sprint to the top. Make sure there are no obstacles in your way when jogging backwards downhill.
• Once you are at the top, crab walk down the hill. To do this, sit on the ground facing downhill with your hands facing forward. Now lift your backside off the ground and walk yourself down the hill with your hands and feet.
• That is one set. Your goal is to repeat this five times through.
• Of course, you want to finish off with a good stretch that will stretch all of the muscles that you have just worked – a full body stretch where you hold each muscle for at least twenty to thirty seconds. This outdoor training session can be performed anywhere with a hill. It is a great fat blasting routine to ensure you burn fat in minimal time.
DAY FOUR – REST
DAY FIVE – BIKE BLAST
High intensity interval training is the way to go when short on time and wanting great results quickly. In fact, research has shown that high intensity interval training on a bike targets stomach fat the quickest, so get on that bike if you want to trim down that mid-section – and stay away from abdominal crunches as this will only make your stomach appear bigger!
• Begin with 3-5 minutes moderate, light pedalling. Once you’re warm you can begin the session – it’s only for 16 minutes, so go hard during this time.
• Pedal furiously for eight seconds and then recover by pedalling slowly for 12 seconds, then furiously again for eight seconds and then recover again for 12 seconds. Keep repeating this until 16 minutes is up.
• Continue pedalling for 5-8 minutes after finishing to bring your heart rate and breathing back to normal.
DAY SIX – EASY BREEZY
Go for a long recovery walk with some friends or along the beach. Keep your pace moderate and in the fat burning zone (meaning you should be able to hold a conversation) and aim for a minimum of 60 minutes. Today will help you recover, heal and repair by moving stiff and sore muscles and pushing blood into them. This is just as imperative for fat loss as the hard days.
DAY SEVEN – REST ♥
Lee-Anne is perhaps best known for her role as the tough-talking trainer on New Zealand’s top rating health and fitness TV show “Downsize Me”. She not only delivers the workouts and programs on the show but is responsible for the creation and design of the participants’ exercise programs. Well known for her creative and effective programs, Lee-Anne believes that customising to each individual’s needs, goals and lifestyles is the only way to really get results. Lee-Anne is also a published author, fitness and nutrition editor, public speaker and motivator.